SETTINGS FOR BETTER GAME PLAY ON GUARDIAN's SERVERS

Killing Floor :D One of the sweetest Co-op games ever made in my opinion. ;)

Moderator: Guardians Knights

SETTINGS FOR BETTER GAME PLAY ON GUARDIAN's SERVERS

Postby Guardian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Over the years the Guardian's Mod has grown with many new perks, weapons, zeds and zed spawns, gore, emitters and etc. etc... With this, there have been some rough times adjusting many configurations to help the game play on the servers. I have updated and worked on server files over time and here recently done some major updates to the Killing Floor system files on the server side and also client side to help with the complexity and size of Guardian's Mod \:D/ :drool: Below is a list of thing you can do to help with game play and a better experience while playing on the servers. :nod:

1.INTERNET SPEED SETTING, IMPORTNANT SETTING!!!!!!
Change the internet speed setting to LAN/T1 and make sure Dynamic Netspeed is disabled(not checked) :nod: You will need this setting to take some advantage of the increase of netspeed from the server. REMEMBER TO RESTART KF FOR SETTINGS TO APPLY. :nod:

THE INTERNET SPEED SETTING BELOW IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO PLAY ON THE SERVERS. SETTING TO (LAN/T1) WILL HELP, BUT MUST SET NETSPEED TO 30000 (FOR WHEN THINGS GET CRAZY OR A LOT IS GOING ON)

NOTE:If you have problems connecting to a server while a wave is in progress with 30000, you can change it anywhere from 20000 to 30000 and that will probably help. :nod:

NOTE #2:Be sure Dynamic is not checked (no X in the box) in your Killing Floor connection settings :nod:

If you do want to use a custom net speed about T1/LAN, then I would suggest 20000, as it should allow your server browser to work and its only 5000, above T1/LAN (15000). To set this do the following.

1. You will need to turn on the custom internet speed before you enter my servers. If you wait until after you join it won't work. You must set the setting before you join the server.

1. When you start KF and your in the main menu or menu's press ~ and type the following.

1a. To set the custom internet speed type: set player ConfiguredInternetSpeed 20000
press enter
If you want to go back to T1/LAN speed of 15000 you can type:

1b. To set the normal internet speed type: set player ConfiguredInternetSpeed 15000
press enter

RECOMMENDED SETTING, NETSPEED NEEDS TO BE SET TO 30000
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED INTERNET SPEED SETTING, MUST CHANGE TO 30000 (FOR WHEN THINGS GET CRAZY OR A LOT IS GOING ON) :nod: :ninja:

Since I have increased the netspeed greatly on the servers, I highly recommend doing the following to give a better playing and gaming experience on the servers. The following will explain how to set your netspeed beyond what the game allows in its preset settings. T1/LAN gives a max of 15K netspeed setting. Most servers unless they modify their setting run at 10k to 15k. This is fine for most servers but Guardians MOD honestly needs more especially on the custom zed servers.

Below are two ways of setting the netspeed, you can turn on a higher netspeed then turn it back down to 15K or 10K (Which ever you prefer).

1. You will need to turn on the custom internet speed before you enter my servers. If you wait until after you join it won't work. You must set the setting before you join the server.

1. When you start KF and your in the main menu or menu's press ~ and type the following.

1a. To set the custom internet speed type: set player ConfiguredInternetSpeed 30000
press enter

1b. To set the normal internet speed type: set player ConfiguredInternetSpeed 15000
press enter

HELPFUL HINT:
If you don't think you can remember the above command. You may want to copy and paste it to a note pad and then copy it before you start KF so you can easily press ~ and then press the ctrl and V to past it in the console. To set it back, just paste the command again to the console and type 15000 at the end instead of the 30000. :nod: But, after a few times of typing it, you will probably be able to type it faster than coping and pasting :p

NOTE: if you get the command correct, you will just get a blank space when you press enter. If you typed it wrong, then you will get a unknown command or unknown class error message :angry:

You can now connect to my servers and enjoy the larger amount of data flow for better game play experience.

After you finish playing you can either go back to the menu and set the internet speed setting back to normal or leave it at the high setting. This will not effect you connecting to other servers, leaving the high setting.

ALSO, if you leave your internet speed at the higher setting the server refresh on the KF menu won't work. You will need to set it back to normal for it to work. :nod:
HOWEVER, if you click on each server (not refresh) info will come up on the server. Setting a high netspeed just stops the refresh from working. Clicking each server will show info on the server. :nod:

Second way of setting the internet speed setting. Don't recommend this way unless you just want to leave the setting set and you have the Guardians Mod servers you want to play on in your favorites and don't mind not being able to see refreshed info on the server browser window.

Go to your KillingFloor folder and then go to System folder. Find the user.ini file and open that file. Press ctrl and F, look for internetspeed. That should take you to the setting, now set it to 30000. You will need to do this again to set it back to 15000, reason i say its best to use the console commands above.

By setting the netspeed to 30000 you will be less likely to not be sent data, meaning less chance of stuff not showing or disappearing and less lag as you won't have a bottle neck for the data to pass through. 30000 (30K) sounds like a lot but remember, it takes 1,000,000 to make 1MB. :wink:

To check to see if your getting the new netspeed you can press ~ then type stat net (or press F6) and this will show your netspeed. Even with the custom setting of 30000 it will show 15000. But, while you are playing what the IN data, as you will see it go to 20000 to 30000 (or more) a lot. That just shows you the bottle neck that takes place at 15000. [/s]

2.DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL LAA KILLING FLOOR SYSTEM FILES(Only needed if your having problems playing)
Click the link to download the modified Killing Floor system files. This link takes you to the thread on the forums to with more info on the files and the download link. http://www.guardiansworlds.com/modules/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2892

3.CHANGE CacheSizeMegs IN YOUR KILLINGFLOOR.INI FILE
If you installed the LAA Killing Floor files in STEP 2 above, then you may want to give this one a try also. In your( KillingFloor/System ) folder there is a file called killingfloor.ini (same file you edit to change your cache purge setting). The CacheSizeMegs is probably set to 16 or 32 or you may have already changed it to 128 or 256. Without the LAA files above, 256 or 512 would be the max setting that would really work without causing KillingFloor to crash very often. However with the LAA files 1024 now works, and 512 seems to have no problems. :nod: :mrgreen: I did try to go higher (1536) and that caused the game to crash at ever new map load. So, I would suggest either at least setting it to 512 or go with 1024 (recommend 512, 1024 will give a slighter chance of a crash) if you have downloaded the LAA files above and have at least 4GB of system memory. If you only have 2GB or lower, i would stay with 256 or maybe give 512 a try.

To change it the steps are the same as changing your cache purge setting since its in your killingfloor.ini file also.

1. First, find your Steam folder. Then go to
2. steamapps/common/killingfloor/system
2a. now that your in the system directory, find killingfloor.ini, after you have found it, open the file.
3. Now, do a search for CacheSizeMegs= (all one word)
4. You will notice it's set to probably 8 or 16. If you have downloaded the LAA files in Step 2 above, then change it to 512 or 1024 (recommend 512). Remember only change to this higher amount if you have at least 4GB of system memory!!! :nod: If you have 2GB of system RAM and downloaded the LAA files go with 256 or 512. ;)
5. Then save your change and your done. Make sure your not running KillingFloor while your doing this....

4. DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ULTIMATE GRAPHICS MOD IF YOU HAVE AN INTEL CPU(Only needed if your having problems playing)
If you want the UGM files, I would highly suggest getting the ones that I updated with LAA along with killing floor system files from STEP 2.If you have an Intel CPU, follow the following link to download the files for the Ultimate Graphics Mod for Killing Floor. Again, the link goes to another thread here on my forums and more info and system requirements needed for the mod are listed on that post. If you download the LAA Killing Floor System files, be sure to get the ones that have been modified with the Ultimate Graphic Mod if your able to run the Ultimate Graphics Mod. http://www.guardiansworlds.com/modules/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2883

5. ADJUST GRAPHICS SETTINGS
If you are still having lag from all the zeds, gore, bullets, etc. etc even after the setting and files listed above.... Be sure to adjust your graphics settings as needed. Running the Ultimate Graphics Mod will help a lot (remember you must have an Intel CPU to run). Also, be sure turn shadows off, as that is a big performance hit.

Anisotropic filtering and Triple Buffer setting: Run both or just one. If you have a decent card, run both. If you have a low end card run Triple Buffer. If you have no card but a decent CPU, you can try Triple Buffer. :wink: (Remember, Killing Floor runs on Unreal 2.5 engine (2.5 modified engine), so its an old engine. Unreal 2 engine came out around 2002. :nod: Recommend at least running Triple Buffering on any card as long as VSync is also enabled. This should help performance as well. :nod:

Antialiasing and Anisotropic filter: If your able to run them try different settings to find what works best, most modern cards should be able to run both settings. If you want more performance and don't care much for some loss in graphic quality don't set Anisotropic and select Triple Buffer filtering. :paranoid:

GRAPHIC RESOLUTION SETTING: Try using a 16:10 resolution setting. For example, instead of using 1920 x 1080, use 1920 x 1200 :nod: What does this do?? This keeps the game from stretching the textures. You will or may have a small black bar on each side of your screen but the game looks way way way better trust me. :nod: List of 16:10 resolutions: - 1280×800, 1440×900, 1680×1050, 1920×1200 and 2560×1600

6. TURN ON NVIDIA INSIDE YOUR KILLINGFLOOR.INI AND SET VIDEO MEMORNY AMOUNT!!!!! IMPORTANT SETTING!!!!!!
If you have an Nvidia Graphics card, you'll need to go inside your KillingFloor.ini file and set it from False to True. Also, you'll need to set the amount of Video Memory your card has. (If you have a Radeon card, you can try the following as well. If problems come up, go back and turn Nvidia from True to False. However, I would recommend adjusting the Video Memory to the amount your card has)...

1. To change the setting go to Killing Floor on your Steam Games list. Right Click and go to Properties.
2. Then go to Local Files, then click browse.
3. Open KillingFloor.ini in your text editor or Note Pad++
4. Scroll down just a little to the Engine.Engine part of the file. At the bottom of this section you'll see NVidiaGPU=False. Change this to NVidiaGPU=True
5. Next look a few lines above, you'll see DetectedVideoMemory= it's probably set to DetectedVideoMemory=128 if you have never changed it.
If you have 512MB of video memory then put DetectedVideoMemory=512
If you have 1GB of video memory then put DetectedVideoMemory=1024
If you have 8GB of video memory then put DetectedVideoMemory=8192
Whatever GB video memory you have take that number and times it by 1024. :nod:

This setting will help a lot. :nod:

7. ADJUST PURGE CACHE DAYS
After downloading all those files the first time connecting to the servers and also each time you download a new map while playing on the servers, the last thing you would want is for the game to purge all the data (cache)... The games default setting is 30 days. For more info on how to adjust the setting click this link http://www.guardiansworlds.com/modules/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=141

8. UNCHECK REDUCE MOUSE LAG
Go to settings, then go to the Input tab, make sure REDUCE MOUSE LAG is unchecked. This is not needed and eats up CPU. You may also want to uncheck smooth mouse, I don't think smooth mouse takes much CPU but you can give it a try and see. But highly recommend making sure REDUCE MOUSE LAG is unchecked.

Those are really the biggest and most helpful/important settings and files you will need to help with game play on the servers. If I think of anymore I will add them to the list.

Thanks,
Guardian :ninja:
Guardian
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)

Topic author

Return to Killing Floor