SERVER CHANGES AND INFO

Killing Floor :D One of the sweetest Co-op games ever made in my opinion. ;)

Moderator: Guardians Knights

SERVER CHANGES AND INFO

Postby Guardian » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:52 pm

NEW SERVER CHANGES:

Also, for New Server specs and info read post “Servers Moving to New Location”
Or click the link: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Guard ... 393770352/

/////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: 6/13/2015
Non Pro Servers won't be moving to the home server system. They will be moved to another rented server system. The specs on that system will be listed below. Also, donation servers, when they are added and started up. Will give players that play on them 10% extra exp.

Also, this should keep all servers from having to be shut down any during the month. Other than the regular shutdowns for restarts updates and such. So any info before about servers shutting down, disregard for now, and hopefully won't have to take that route. :)
///////////////////////////////////////

Stats of current server and new server.

Current server(old rented server):
Dual Quad Core Xeon Proc.(8 cores) running at 2.5GHz Hyper Threading and Turbo Boost not used.
16GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB 7200rpm HD

New System(Home System):
Dual Six Core Xeon Proc.(12 cores) running at 2.93GHz Hyper Threading and Turbo Boost are turned on and used. Cleaned and now replaced CPU's thermal paste with Diamond Thermal Paste.

24GB DDR3 RAM (Replaced)
48GB DDR3 12800 RAM
2 TB 7200rpm HD x 2 set in Mirror RAID

Rented server for Non Pro KF servers(west coast)
Quad Core 3.2Ghz proc.
16GB RAM

As some already have read in the Forum section of the Steam Group “Servers Moving to New Location”. The final move of the Non Pro Servers will happen around the 18th or 19th or a little before. The Non Pro Servers will shutdown and won’t be back up until 19th or 20th of this month. All servers will then be on the server I bought and will be running from home. As listed in the “Servers Moving to New Location” post the new servers specs are much better than the current one I’m renting.

There are several reasons for the move:

1. To save money
2. Much easier to run the server from home
3. Will have more options of other game servers I can run
4. More options to run other gaming servers.
5. More powerful system.

Now, as listed in that prior post, there was a CON to hosting the servers from home. That Con would be DATA usage. The main reason I moved the Pro Servers first, was to split the Pro and Non Pro servers to see the data usage of each. The Pro servers have less players on them, so those were the best ones to move over, since the larger data package I will be moving to, won’t start until mid month. The larger data package would give 45GB of data usage to the servers a month, which I have found, won’t be enough for the Non Pro servers. Pro Servers could probably stay under that limit and not worry about having to shut the servers down several days or a week before new data kicked in.

So, my options are either to increase the data package(which would remove me from saving any money) or no longer run the Non Pro servers. After doing some thinking on this, I have come up with an option which I will try. For the next month or two, I’m going to go with a 80GB plan, leaving 70GB for the servers to use. This will actually push me $60 over what I was paying for my current data plan and also renting the CA server… But, I’m going to do this to see how much data will be fully used in the way I’m going to run the servers and to hopefully keep from having to shut any servers down for days or weeks in the month.

WAY SERVERS WILL BE RAN:

All Pro and Non Pro servers will be shut down Monday - Friday from 6am to 6pm EST(Eastern Standard Time) give or take 30 mins or an hour and will be open all weekend for use. That will give a down time of 12 to 13 hours each day during the week for down time allowing not as much data or any data to be used.

Now what I am going to do, is setup Donation servers. Donation servers will be up 24/7, this giving a reason for people to donate, if they wish to play during the downtime of the other servers and this money will go towards helping pay for the increase of money required for the higher DATA package. However, donating doesn’t give any right to complain if the donation servers go down or any other reasons. I will do my best to keep the donation servers up, but there are things like Internet Service Provider going down, server needing to be restarted or worked on, or stuff out of my control, etc. etc… Donation servers are there to say THANK YOU, for those willing to help put some money toward the server and give those players some extra play time and some more private like servers.

There will be the following donation servers setup:
Pro: Normal and HOE

Non Pro: Normal, HOE and Normal No Custom ZEDs

I may add more, but more than likely those will be the choices for donation use. As listed, donation servers will be up 24/7, so they can be used during times when the other servers are up as well. Current donation to use donation servers will be $10/month. If someone wishes to pay a year worth all at once, I would probably do a discount to $8/month, meaning it would be $96. If they do 6 months, i would do $9/Month meaning $54.

I know some will say, you’re just trying to make money. And that would be a big nope. Even at the rates listed for the donation servers, I will still probably end up spending the same or more than what I was renting the server in CA. At least for the next two months, after than I will probably lower the data package, unless donations are high enough to keep it at 70GB. If it is lowered it will be lowered to either 55GB or 45GB.

How I figure it, I have been footing the bill for over two years now of $280/month, with thankfully some nice donations from a handful of players(adding up to around $1,300 to $1,500over time I believe, leaving me paying around $5k for the last two years). Which this was my own choice, but I no longer can do this. And again, the main point of moving the server was to cut down on cost, so, that cut down on cost in time would pay for the server which i bought.

NOTE: Donation servers will be the last to go offline, if the max data is hit per month. I will be cutting non donation servers off when too much data is being used or if data looks like it’s going to be close to running out or running out before new data starts.(This should no longer be an issue since the Non Pro servers will be on a rented server system with near unlimited data).

All Pro and Non Pro rules stay the same on the donation servers and must be followed. If not, stats can be wiped and or you will be banned from all servers.

INFO ON DONATION SERVERS:

Cost to use:
$10/month
$9/month if paying 6 months = $54
$8/month if paying 12 months = $96
$1 each time player changes their Steam name, if it needs to be adjusted(info below).
Donations payment will run for 30 days. After that, you will be removed from the Donation Server list, unless another donation is paid or unless you paid 6 or 12 months worth.

How servers will keep others out:
1. Servers will have a new password each month. Come to me on steam or email for the password. Any player that finds out the password and joins without donating, will be banned from all donation servers and probably banned from all the servers.

2. Servers will kick any player out that’s name isn’t listed to allow to play on the donation servers. Which that player should not be in the server anyways as listed in #1.

3. Players will need to keep their name the same during each month they donate. If not, the name will need to be updated and I will charge $1 each time since I will have to update the donation list for the server. There will be a limit, probably will only do a name change 1 or 2 times max a month. Name changes will be done only when I can get time to do them.

4. Players names will need to be regular names. I’m not sure if the donation user list will work with some of the symbols players use in their names. More than likely they won’t. I will add the name you list when you send the payment via PayPal. If it doesn’t work, you will need to let me know, and more than likely you will need to change your name.

HOW TO PAY FOR DONATION SERVERS:
1. I only use PayPal and you can donate by going to http://www.donate.guardiansworlds.com or donate.guardiansworlds.com

2. I will send you the current password and or the upcoming password for the donation servers. Again, it will more than likely change each month. The password will be sent to the email attached to your PayPal account.

3. If you didn’t list your Steam game name in the PayPal donation payment, I will ask you for it in the email I send you with the password info for the servers.

4. IMPORTANT!!! It will be up to the player to give me a good Steam username that will work with the donation user list system. As listed prior, the system probably won’t work with symbols and such in the players name.

NOTE: Donation servers will be the last to go offline, if the max data is hit per month. I will be cutting non donation servers off when too much data is being used or if data looks like it’s going to be close to running out or running out before new data starts.(This should no longer be an issue since the Non Pro servers will be on a rented server system with near unlimited data).

All Pro and Non Pro rules stay the same on the donation servers and must be followed. If not, stats can be wiped and or you will be banned from all servers.

Thank You,
Guardian :ninja:
Guardian
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)

Topic author

Return to Killing Floor