Why are perks not sync between all Pro Servers?

Killing Floor :D One of the sweetest Co-op games ever made in my opinion. ;)

Moderator: Guardians Knights

Why are perks not sync between all Pro Servers?

Postby Guardian » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Figured I would post this here on the forums as well... This is a reply to the question in the subject, that I answered on the Guardian Knight Steam group. :nod:

Look over any typos, because I'm on my phone. Sorry for the short response last night. I was exhausted from a extremely busy day at work and then coming home and setting up a new server, and typing the info on moving perks around, along with updating and fixing a few things on my list of fixes for the servers.

The mod server perks was made via Marco(everyone should thank him for such a great mod, especially twi and the modding community, since without server perks, modded servers would not be what they are... Meaning extra perks and lvling custom perks and such). ServerPerks runs by saving perk data in the same directory that the mod/game runs. I'm going to guess you have never ran a modded server with server perks, because if you had, you would know that server perks was not made to do as you are stating. I have seen talk about some servers coming together to try to setup what steam has setup, but via using server perks. But to do this.. All perks would have to be the same, on all servers. Meaning versions and everything... I'm not going into all of that, because I would be here forever typing on my phone. In simple.. For that to work, everything, perk wise would have to be the same on all servers. But then you would run into some servers allow cheating or glitching.. Etc etc... A lot of problems there.

Now, can server perks be modded to do as your saying. I'm sure it can be. And it seems WPC has done that. But, I'm not doing it because it goes against my thoughts on how perks should be leveled... I do not agree with people going to easy, and lvling up their perks.. And then going to hard... That defeats the purpose in my opinion... However I do understand that not everyone shares my feelings on this. And this is why I have decided to do this. If not, I would leave my servers the way they where, and a players would have to play on each server to gain their perks. Now I don't have a problem with using lets say, normal difficulty perks on a easy difficulty server... But, one cannot setup server perks to only do that... And if you notice in the donation charge.. I have it 5$ to transfer all stats from a harder difficulty to a easier lvl, but to move from a easy to a harder server, it's 5$ per stat per difficulty lvl... I make the donation charge more, to detour people people from moving all there stats from a easier server to a harder one... I leave it up to the person, if they wish to pay a donation to move the stats up, then that is their choice I'm now allowing.

So, by doing this, I keep the servers the way I want them, but this now allows people to move their perks around. Plus, the donations help cut on server cost... Because now, I am renting 3 server connections, and I run 4 more servers on a computer I use as a server at home. The last i checked.. Power isn't free and nor was the server I bought to run the 4 servers I run at home. And when I move next year, I will be getting a high bandwidth connection to help the local servers connection.. Which I know I would have a Internet connection when i move , but not at the price or speed I plan on getting for the server....

Also, from reading your comments, i'm kinda wondering if you're hinting i'm doing this to make money... Not sure if you was hinting at that, when you added the WPC is able to use one perk source to share on their servers... Let me take care of that question right now...

I bring all of this to you and others for free... I have spent several months.. Not hours, not days, not weeks... Not even a few months... But several and I do mean several months of my time coding and working on the servers all for a grand total of $0 I have spent money on a new computer to run the local server, it takes power to run it.. For the last few months, since I started the pro servers, i have been paying rent for faster rental servers that have fast data connections, all so more people can play on my servers, without lag and enjoy themselves.... It would take a lot.. And i do mean a lot of donations... Before I came out in the plus side.. Considering I'm only asking a donation of 5$... And if i do ever come out on the plus side.. The money will continue to be used for server expenses and rental servers for there faster data connection.... And if enough is ever made or the key word continually comes in, I will open up more servers...

So, i hope that clears anyone's thoughts on that subject.... I don't mind coding and working on and doing all of this. I'm glad and happy people enjoy the servers, because I have been gaming since I was 4,meaning, i have been gaming longer than a lot of you have been alive... I love gaming, so bringing a great and enjoyful gaming experience to players means a lot... But I bring with that challenges to test people's skills as well... It's all the positive feed back i have gotten, that has kept me doing this.. Because honestly... The time I have put into this all for $0 or well actually nicely in the negative - $ it's people's enjoyment and positive feedback that has kept me working on this and to figure how to get the max experience out of killing floor and the engine it runs on...
Guardian
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)

Topic author

Return to Killing Floor