How to help your Killing Floor game from crashing as much :)

Killing Floor :D One of the sweetest Co-op games ever made in my opinion. ;)

Moderator: Guardians Knights

Was this helpful and easy to understand?

WOW!!!! This is AWESOME!!! Thanks :mrgreen:
50%
It was helpful... But, I'm not certain still how to do it... :?:
No votes
No, I have no idea what I'm doing... I'll just let KF continue crashing... 8O
50%

Total votes : 2, total voters : 2

How to help your Killing Floor game from crashing as much :)

Postby Guardian » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Updated
This is no longer needed. Several updates back, TWI checked the flag to allow LAA(Large Address Aware)

Hello :mrgreen: I know a lot of you all out there are getting a lot of crashes, especially on KF servers like mine, that are pushing the games memory limit to its max. The simplest thing would be for TWI to make the game Large Address Aware(LAA). What is this you may ask? Well, in a simple way of explaining. Killing Floor as most games out there are 32-bit games. Meaning they are limited to 2GB of memory to be used for the program at any given time. So... even if your system has 16GB or 32GB... the game is only ever going to use 2GB memory total. Now... A 32-bit program can be made (LAA) by the programmer. A flag is simply set in the executable source files and the game will then use 3.5GB to 4GB of memory. But, I don't see TWI doing this because, 2GB of memory serves them well enough for the regular game. The memory limit is hit when to many Zeds, Weapons, and player skins, etc etc etc are added. Now adding a ton of maps will not take up memory. Only time a map takes up memory is when it is loaded, so that is why some maps will crash, some maps will load but not allow clients to connect, and some maps will load(usually small maps, but not always the case). There is a lot to how the memory is used, and I'm not going to get into detail.. Because I'm sure most of you don't really want details, you may want to know why your game is crashing, which i have just explained in a simple way, and now your wanted to know how to make it crash less. :p

Well, what you can do, is make your KillingFloor.exe file Large Address Aware(LAA). To do this, I have attached a program and also will attach a link to the direct source of the file. :nod: Now, this will not truly make your killingfloor.exe file able to use 3.5GB and 4GB of memory. To make a program truly LAA, it has to be done in the source files, meaning by TWI the programmer of the game. You cannot decompile the killingfloor.exe, it is protected and you need TWI protected source files to decompile :wink: But, this does help keep the game from crashing as much... I'm not really fully certain how, but it has worked for me and it will work on other games that crashes because of hitting the 2GB memory limit in the 32-bit program. I'm guessing Windows gives or makes a buffer or larger buffer for the game, giving it just a little more memory to keep it from crashing. Just a guess, but that's the only logical thing I can come up with, since TWI has not set the flag to allow LAA or even allow the option of LAA.

Who will this help? This will help anyone that has over 2GB of RAM. If you only have 2GB of RAM, then this isn't going to help you. Even at 3GB, don't except much, with 4GB, you should see less crashes with the game. :nod:

Will the game still crash? Yes. My KillingFloor still crashes sometimes. But, this has cut it back about 75% less crashes... I do have a powerful system, Intel I7 and 16GB of RAM with a Geforce GTX 690 graphics card. I crash sometimes maybe once a week now... However, it might take a spell and crash once a day, or maybe twice in one day... However... This is nothing compared to how much it would crash before.

IMPORTANT

Anytime the game is patched or updated, you will need to go back and do this... It takes all of less than 30 seconds after you do it a few times :mrgreen:

How to make KillingFloor.exe Large Address Aware(LAA)

MAKE SURE KILLING FLOOR IS NOT RUNNING WHEN YOU DO THIS

1. Download the attached file. CFFExplore and install. Please note that you can really mess a file up with this.... So only do and click what I list below.
Here is the link to the website for the file if you don't wish to download it here http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php NOTE: The file you download from here is in .zip, so you will need to unzip the file then run the exe file. If you go to the link, it is not in .zip form.

2.After you have installed CFF Explorer. Go to your killingfloor system directory. If you have it installed in steams regular directory, it would be something like this.
C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\KillingFloor\system\KillingFloor.exe

3. Right click on KillingFloor.exe

4. Go to Open with CFF Explorer

5.When CFF Explorer opens, look at the left, and left click on File Header

6.Next you will see that when you clicked File Header, the right section changed. Ok, now left click on the right where it says "Click here"

7.When you do that, a pop up will show. Look for "File can handle >2GB address space" click the box next to this. Then click ok.

8. Now go up to the upper left and click on File, and then go down to save. And click save. and click YES to overwrite the original file.

9. Congrads... You have just finished making your killingfloor less crash pron. :mrgreen: It will still crash, but not nearly as much :nod:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guardian
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)

Topic author

Re: How to help your Killing Floor game from crashing as muc

Postby Goldy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:00 am

I have a concern, it has to be a checked box or unchecked ?

It was checked at first when I unchecked it I crashed 3 times in the same map which is really rare, then I went back and checked it again now I dont crash as much:\

8 GB memory, GeForce 650 Ti Boost @2GB , i5 3330 @ 3.00 GHz
Random avatar
Goldy
Peasant(newbie)
Peasant(newbie)

Postby Guardian » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:07 am

Goldy wrote:I have a concern, it has to be a checked box or unchecked ?

It was checked at first when I unchecked it I crashed 3 times in the same map which is really rare, then I went back and checked it again now I dont crash as much:\

Yeah, you don't need to do this anymore. TWI finally did this to KF a while back, unless they went back and unchecked it. Make sure the box is checked, to allow LAA.
Guardian

Topic author

Postby Goldy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:21 am

Guardian wrote:
Goldy wrote:I have a concern, it has to be a checked box or unchecked ?

Yeah, you don't need to do this anymore. TWI finally did this to KF a while back, unless they went back and unchecked it. Make sure the box is checked, to allow LAA.

Hehe I think you should delete or edit this topic, it could be misleading to some people :3
Random avatar
Goldy
Peasant(newbie)
Peasant(newbie)

Postby Guardian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:53 am

Follow this link to go to the new thread on how to help Killing Floor from crashing so much. http://www.guardiansworlds.com/modules/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2893&p=5867#p5867
Guardian

Topic author

Return to Killing Floor