RCON COMMANDS AND EXTRA COMMANDS TO PLACE IN INIT.TXT FILE

In this area you will find write ups for Halo CE from members of guardiansworlds.com. To post a write up, please let me know by PM(Private Message) or a message in the message board area or by email, [email protected]

Moderator: Guardians Knights

RCON COMMANDS AND EXTRA COMMANDS TO PLACE IN INIT.TXT FILE

Postby Guardian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:03 pm

RCON COMMANDS AND EXTRA COMMANDS TO PLACE IN INIT.TXT FILE.

Ok, I have had several people ask me if there is other commands that you can place in the init.txt file and also have been asked about RCON commands. Ok, first off I will start with the extra stuff for the init.txt file. I recommend placing them before your sv_mapcycle_add but you do not have to, just as long as you have them before the sv_mapcycle_begin command(this command should be your last command).

1st. extra command, sv_motd This command will allow you to set a message of the day. Here are the steps of creating a message of the day file.
1st. Right click on your desktop, now go to new, go to text document. Ok, now open your
new text file.

2nd .Type what you would like for the message of the day. Notice though, that it can only be 4 lines and when your text gets near the edge of the screen in you text document, hit enter to start a new line. After you get your message of the day running, you can press F2 to make sure all of it did fit into the message of the day window.

3rd Ok, after you have typed the message you would like, go to File, Save As and name it motd this is what I called mine, and this is what I will be using through this write up, so to make is simple I would suggest calling it motd

4th OK, now since we have it named, now place this file in the main directory of your halo ce directory(the same directory that your init.txt file is in.

5th Ok, now, lets go inside your init.txt file, this is the command you will add to your init.txt file, sv_motd “motd.txt” Notice this is what we named the file that you made, now if you named it a different name other than motd then you will want to use the name that you named it.

6th Go to file, save, and then close the init.txt file. That should have you set for the message of the day.

2nd command is going to be sv_banlist_file banlist01 This is how it should look, now let me explain how to set the ban list file up.

If you are re-reading this, noticed the directions have changed, so for the incorrect info. OK, all you need to do is in your init.txt file, add the following command sv_banlist_file banlist01 That is it, now if you want it to be different you can make it sv_banlist_file banlistNameITwhatyouwant201 it can look like that, the main thing is to make sure banlist is in front and two ## are in the back. That is it, so for example your ban list file could be named sv_banlist_file banlistBoomserver133 or you could have it just sv_banlist_file banlist33 I hope you understand what I'm saying, again, sorry for the wrong info before if you are re-reading this. I just checked the banlist file and it's still not working right, give me a few days to work on this command or if anyone has ideas on it, send me a PM, I have to get some sleep for work tomorrow. Consider this beta info for this command :euuuh: Also, I would recommend just leaving this command out unless you want to name the ban file to something other than what the game names it. I will keep working and try to figure out how this command works. NEW POST: It seems like the above works, I had a friend come into the server I banned him and it went to the file I told it to. However when I tried to unban him I could not use his name and had to use the number he was in the banlist, to find that out you have to use the sv_banlist command. :wink: From what I can tell all the other commands I listed are writen correct. :wink:

3nd command is going to be sv_tk_ban and also sv_tk_grace. Ok, this two commands are used to auto ban people that are team killing. I highly suggest setting the sv_tk ban more than 1 for if someone kills 1 person, then yeap, their ban, I would suggest maybe 5 or more, and sv_tk_grace works with sv_tk_ban, sv_tk_grace is the an amount of time in seconds that will allow a player to only be charged one team kill rather than a bunch. Lets say you have the grace set to 5 seconds, which I would suggest at least around 3 to 5 seconds, if someone where to throw a nade into a group and kill 2 or 3 of his team, and lets say the ban was set to 2 or 3. Well, from that mistake with no grace set, then that player would be ban, so, with grace set, instead of being charged for 2 or 3 team kills, they would only be charged for 1. Ok, another command that works with both of these is sv_tk_cooldown, this is the time, in seconds I believe, that the player will have a team kill taken away from him. Ok, now how to add these to your init.txt file.

1st open your init.txt file in your halo ce directory.

2nd I always suggest adding them before your sv_mapcycle_add

3rd sv_tk_ban 4 that is how it should look, that means you will allow 4 team kills

4th sv_tk_grace 5 that is how it should look, that means you will allow a 5 second grace time as explained above.

5th sv_tk_cooldown 120 that is how it should look, that means that after 2 minutes the person will have 1 team kill taken away.

6th That is it, now you can have different numbers for each, the ones I gave was just an example. Now go to file, save, and then close the init.txt file.

There are some other commands like keeping a log file but, it’s a little complicated, if enough people want to know how to have a log file running, then I will make a write up for it, I have one running, it’s not really worth anything other than keep track of the messages that are going on in the game.

NEXT IS THE RCON COMMAND

If you wish to have control of your server while you are playing, then you will want to add the rcon command to your init.txt file. Your RCON command should look like sv_rcon_password yourpassword that is how it should look. Here is how to add it.

1st open your init.txt file

2nd add sv_rcon_password yourpassword As yourpassword is the password you want to use.

3rd go to File, Save, and then close the init.txt file.

4th ok, now you are going to want to add an extension on the shortcut that you use not to run a dedicated server put to PLAY your Halo CE game. I suggest to do the following. Go to the shortcut by going to start, programs, Microsoft Games, Halo CE or where ever you had it placed and then go to the halo custom edition shortcut and right click on it, go to create shortcut and then if that shortcut is not auto placed on your desktop move it to your desktop, now if you already had a shortcut for Halo CE for PLAYING the game, then you would not have had to done that. OK, now.

5th right click on the new shortcut and go to properties.

6th Where it says target, it is going to say something like "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe" Ok, what we are going to add is –console to the end, so it should look like "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe"-console now your drive and directory may be different, it all depends on where you placed the Halo CE game at.

7th after you have –console added at the end, go down to apply, and then click OK.

8th All you do now is start your game that up, and you will now have access to the console by pressing the ` key, the key above your TAB key. You should see a pink HALO text in the bottom left. NOTE: Remember this is not for the dedicated server shortcut, this is for the shortcut that you use to PLAY Halo CE.

Now, lets say you start your dedicated server, and now you go to your new shortcut you made with the –console that you added, and now you start Halo up(like you are going to play the game) and find your server. Ok, now your in the game. You can use the following commands but to use them you will need to use them as follows.

Rcon yourpassword is going to be placed in front of each command yourpassword is the password you set above in your init.txt file.

Here are the commands you will need your password to use.

sv_end_game—should look like rcon yourpassword sv_end_game this will end your Halo server

sv_kick [player index or name] should look like rcon yourpassword 4 as 4 is just an example of a players index being 4 or rcon yourpassword Boom as Boom is just an example of a players name being Boom, do not add the [ ] brackets to the command. This will kick that certain player.

sv_map map name game variant should look like rcon yourpassword bloodgulch slayer This command will load the map and the game type you added, meaning it will end the current map/game going on and start the map you just entered and game type.

sv_mapcycle should look like rcon yourpassword sv_mapcycle this will show the map cycle list that is in your init.txt file

sv_mapcycle_add map name game type should look like rcon yourpassword sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch slayer this will add a map to your current mapcylce list.

sv_mapcycle_begin should look like rcon yourpassword sv_mapcycle_begin this will start your map cycle at the beginning of the list that is in your init.txt file. You will also need to do this if you use the sv_map command, since when you use the sv_map command it will play the map you selected over and over, until you use the sv_mapcycle_begin command to restart your map cycle over again.

sv_mapcycle_del [index] should look like rcon yourpassword sv_mapcycle_del 3 as 3 would be the index number for the map you want to del. To get the index number for each map in your map cycle you will need to run the sv_mapcycle command as listed above

sv_mapcycle_timeout n should look like rcon yourpassword sv_mapcycle_timeout 20 that would mean that after the map that you are playing on ends and the scores come up, it will wait for 20 seconds to load another map. It’s the same as in your init.txt file

sv_map_next should look like rcon yourpassword sv_map_next this command will end the current map and start the next map that is in the mapcycle.

sv_map_restart should look like rcon yourpassword sv_map_restart this will restart the current map you are playing

sv_maxplayers n should look like rcon yourpassword sv_maxplayers 8 as 8 is the max number of players that can be on your server, now if you change this while lets say you have it set to 10 and then you change it to 8, and there are 10 people on your server, no one will be kicked off, after 1 or 2 people leave no one will be able to come into your server if there is already 8 people on there. Hope all of that made sense.

sv_players should look like rcon yourpassword sv_players this command will show the list of players and their reference in banning and kicking from the server and also shows TKP for each player and their cool down period.

sv_tk_ban n should look like rcon yourpassword sv_tk_ban 4 this is the same as stated above in the init.txt discussion. Go back up to the top and read about the init.txt file commands as it will be the same way for your rcon command, expect in the rcon you will need to put rcon yourpassword before the command.

sv_tk_grace time should look like rcon yourpassword sv_tk_gracetime 4 4 this is the same as stated above in the init.txt discussion. Go back up to the top and read about the init.txt file commands as it will be the same way for your rcon command, expect in the rcon you will need to put rcon yourpassword before the command.

sv_tk_cooldown time should look like rcon yourpassword sv_tk_cooldown 120 4 this is the same as stated above in the init.txt discussion. Go back up to the top and read about the init.txt file commands as it will be the same way for your rcon command, expect in the rcon you will need to put rcon yourpassword before the command.

sv_unban play name should look like rcon yourpassword sv_unban Boom as Boom is the player you are wanting to unban and allow to play on the server again. Or you may have to use the number ID for the person you are wanting to unban, to find this, use the sv_banlist as shown below to find the number of the person you are wanting to unban.

sv_banlist should look like rcon yourpassword sv_banlist This will show all the people that are banned from your server.

I really hope all of this helps everyone. I think it will, if there is a command I left out please let me know. I have been really busy since it’s close to Christmas and plus with work and along with other stuff. Thanks again to the ones that have joined my website, I really hope it keeps growing. Please let me know if you need help or more info about any of the commands or if I have left out a command that you need help with.

Enjoy and Thanks,
Guardian :drink:
Last edited by Guardian on Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Guardian
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)

Topic author

Postby Guardian » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:51 pm

For anyone that has read this before this post, you will want to re-read the command for the banlist file, I had incorrect info about how to make the file, re-read the new info. :wink: Sorry for that, I never used the sv_banlist_file command, so when I did, I found out I had it up wrong, the info you read now, the command will work. :D Also, the txt file that it creates will be placed in a different directory than the halo CE directory, you can look at your server window(black with white text) to see where it puts it :wink:

Thanks,
Guardian :good:
Guardian

Topic author

Return to Halo CE Write Up Area