HOW TO SETUP A HALO CUSTOM EDITION DEDICATED SERVER

Go here to ask any questions that you have making a Halo CE server or having problems with adding maps or any other problem you may have. Or if you just want to post some info or talk about Halo CE please post here. Also, go here for the MAP LIST for my HALO CE server.(This was the help and discussion area for Halo CE, that I started not long after the site was up). Moved to Game List area :)

Moderator: Guardians Knights

HOW TO SETUP A HALO CUSTOM EDITION DEDICATED SERVER

Postby Guardian » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:03 pm

Before you read, also note that if you have any questions please put a post in the Halo CE area under Online Gaming in the message board area. I still will take PM's but, this way when I help you with your problem, others can see it and they may learn what they need to do also to correct a problem they are having. Thanks. :ninja:

How to setup your own dedicated server for Halo CE….
1. First off, I set my server up through my init file that is located in the main part of your Halo Custom Edition directory. So, if you want to set one up another way, then you can also go to halomaps.org and I’m about certain they have a write up on how to start a server. Ok, now lets begin.
2. We are going to just make a brand new init.txt file, you may already have one in your Halo CE directory, but this will save some confusion for most and if you do have one in your directory already, feel free not to make a new one and just edit the current one.
3. Just to keep things simple, lets make the init.txt file on your desktop. So, on you desktop, right click, then go down to NEW, then go down to TEXT DOCUMENT.
4. Ok, now you should have a new txt document on your screen. You can name it now, but just to keep things simple we will name it later. Ok, now double click on the new text document.
5. Your text document is going to be blank. So, lets start adding stuff to it.
6. Your first line in is going to be the following command, sv_name name of your server. Ok, now make sure there is no spaces in the name, like mine is sv_name stats_www.guardiansworlds.com I will be showing a detail of mine after all the setup instructions.
7. Next command sv_public this can be true or false, this is if you want it to be listed on gamespy or not, if you put true it will be listed on gamespy if you put false it will be a LAN game. For example mine is sv_public true
8. Next command sv_maxplayers this is the max amount of people that can be on your server. For example right now I have mine set to 8 so mine is sv_maxplayers 8
9. Next command sv_mapcycle_timeout this is how long you will be at the screen after a game has finished “the score sceen” it is in seconds mine is sv_mapcycle_timeout 15 So mine is 15 seconds.
10. Next command sv_status this can be true or false, this is if you want it to be a dedicated server, so you will put true, like mine is sv_status true
11. Next command is sv_mapcycle_add name of map “type of game” for example one of mine is sv_mapcycle_add hangemhigh “guardianslayer” However, yours will not be “guardianslayer” this is where I went into halo and made so different settings and saved it to a different name. You would put “slayer” or “ctf” I hope you understand where I’m coming from. Just go into your Halo CE game and go to multiplayer, then go down to where it says edit gametypes, there is where you will see the different game types you have and that is what you would put into the field like “slayer” or “ctf” ext. ext. That is also the place where you can make your own custom settings. Ok, now you will need to do the sv_mapcycle_add to ever map you want your server to run, look below after the instructions at how my example looks.
12. Next and final command is sv_mapcycle_begin this will finish up your commands. Now go to file, click save as, and name it init, now after you have saved it and named it init, copy it and paste it to your halo custom edition directory. I think the standard directory is c:/program files/Microsoft games/halo custom editon/ So you put the file in your halo custom edition directory. Now to start your dedicated server. Just go to your start button, go to programs, Microsoft games, Halo Custom Edition, Halo Custom Edition Dedicated Server, that will bring a small black screen in a window, that will load your server, give it some time, it will matter on your computers processing speed on how fast it will load.
13. There are other commands like ban and others, I have not had to use them yet, so I have not added them to the instructions. This is really just a basic setup instructions. I did not add how to add a message of the day nor did I explain how to have a log file to run. If you would like help with this, just let me know, and if enough people is interested I will add instructions on how to do so. Ok, now here is an example of how mine is setup, not to the exact just a little example to how yours should look.

sv_name stats_www.guardiansworlds.com
sv_public true
sv_maxplayers 8
sv_mapcycle_timeout 15
sv_status true
sv_mapcycle_add hangemhigh “slayer”
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch “slayer”
sv_mapcycle_add dangercanyon “slayer”
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch “ctf”
sv_mapcycle_begin

If you want to know how to add maps to your server or just to add maps to your game that you play and connect to servers, I will be adding another write up on how to do that also, or I’m sure halomaps.org has a write up. I hope this helped.

Thanks,
Guardian
:mrgreen:
Guardian
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)

Topic author

halo CE DS problems

Postby scarslilpyro » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:05 am

sv_name The_Best_Damn_Serva_Period
sv_public true
sv_maxplayers 10
sv_mapcycle_timeout 15
sv_status true
sv_mapcycle_add bang'em'high "TSC CTF"
sv_mapcycle_add ChaosGulch "TSC CTF"
sv_mapcycle_add Yoyorast_Island "TSC CTF"
sv_mapcycle_add bob_omb_battlefield "TSC CTF"
sv_mapcycle_add w4rtorn_cove "TSC CTF"
sv_friendly_fire 1
sv_tk_ban 1
sv_motd S.txt
sv_mapcycle_begin

is what i have in my init.txt file.
map wont show up in the list when i try to look for it.
any possible known placement requirements for each command?
any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, todd.
scarslilpyro
Peasant(newbie)
Peasant(newbie)

Postby RvB-Tucker » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:35 am

How do you add like snipers no shields and setting like that and tk ban?

p.s thank you ive been looking for days for something like this and this is the most explanitory guide i have ever found.
RvB-Tucker
Peasant(newbie)
Peasant(newbie)

Postby RvB-Tucker » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:39 am

i get the error

server names must only contain printible ASCII characters supported by th Halo UI.

Incorrect usage. Type sv_name for more information

i typed this

sv_name stats_Clan»RvB«DedicatedServer
sv_public true
sv_maxplayers 8
sv_mapcylce_timeout 10
sv_status true
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "slayer"
sv_mapcycle_begin
RvB-Tucker
Peasant(newbie)
Peasant(newbie)

Postby scarslilpyro » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:38 am

RvB-Tucker wrote:i get the error

server names must only contain printible ASCII characters supported by th Halo UI.

Incorrect usage. Type sv_name for more information

i typed this

sv_name stats_Clan»RvB«DedicatedServer
sv_public true
sv_maxplayers 8
sv_mapcylce_timeout 10
sv_status true
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "slayer"
sv_mapcycle_begin

"«" is a non-printable character.

(it's not on the keyboard)

Can't use alt codes :p :wink:
<strong><br></strong>
scarslilpyro
Peasant(newbie)
Peasant(newbie)

Postby Guardian » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:34 am

Thanks RvB :) I sent you a PM earlier letting you know I could help you with your questions. Also, if you haven't read the Write up forum area yet, I recommend that. It's right below this forum(Gaming/Computer Tech Help) it will be listed as I think Members Write ups. It will help you with a lot of your questions. :)

As for the name of your server, Pyro is correct.

As for making a game just snipers and shields settings and also about the TK ban. It's all in my write ups. The snipers and shields etc etc is when you customize a game. When you make a custom game, and lets say you name it newslayer. Well when you add maps to your init.txt file, you will want to put "newslayer" beside the map to use the new custom setting. I hope this makes sense. If you haven't read the write ups please do, if you have read them and still have questions please let me know. I will be glad to help. :mrgreen:

Also, the TK ban and stuff is also in the write ups section :) I'm thinking you only read this sections of post in the Halo CE question and discussion area. If you think these are discriptive, then you will love the write ups.

Here is a link just in case you have problems finding them in the forums listing. http://www.guardiansworlds.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=27&sid=b45f2450dc0e2243851a12499594d06e

Hope all this helps. Remember have anymore questions just let me know.

Thanks,
Guardian :ninja:
Guardian

Topic author

Return to HALO CE