trying to upgrade graphic card

Need help with hardware, software, etc etc, or have some good info you would like to share. Post here.

Moderator: Guardians Knights

trying to upgrade graphic card

Postby ace207 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:10 pm

I currently have a AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series and a AMD FX9(tm)-8120 Eight-core processor with 8gb of ram. I am trying to upgrade my graphic card to AMD Radeon HD 7970 and i need to know if i also need to upgrade my processor or if my computer will be fine with the current processor i have now
Random avatar
ace207
Peasant(newbie)
Peasant(newbie)

Topic author

Re: trying to upgrade graphic card

Postby Guardian » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:29 pm

ace207 wrote:I currently have a AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series and a AMD FX9(tm)-8120 Eight-core processor with 8gb of ram. I am trying to upgrade my graphic card to AMD Radeon HD 7970 and i need to know if i also need to upgrade my processor or if my computer will be fine with the current processor i have now

You will be ok there. :) A graphics card has no strain on the main processor. The graphics card is there to take graphic data away from the main processor, so the main processor doesn't have to process it. So, the better graphics card you have, to process graphic data, the better off you will be, because that will give less of a chance that your main processor will be hit with graphic data that a video card would take care of. :) Only thing you need to make sure is that card fits to slot your current one is in. However, now days, most are PCI Express. AGP and even PCI slots are few and far from current mother boards. So, just make sure the new card has the same slot hook up as your current one, and your good to go :nod:
Guardian
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)
Supreme Knight(Site Admin)

Return to Computer Tech